Friday, 27 April 2012

Thousand Deli Bakery - Santhosh!

Contact method: Direct contact. I went down personally to the outlet
Outcome of discussion:Failed
Date: 26/4/2012
Time of discussion: 5.30pm
Duration of discussion: 10mins


I made contact with one of the staff there on the 26th of April 2012 at around 5.30pm. The bakery was fairly crowded as it was located centrally and in front of a bus interchange and an MRT station.

I approached a member of the staff at the counter. She did not seem local. This was probably my first mistake. I should have spoken to someone who was of higher status in the company and could understand me better. I proceeded to explain to her that I was a student from Singapore Polytechnic, and I had to do a project for a module that I am taking - Social Media Marketting.

I told her that the aim of the project was to help a company do advertising, and that no effort will be needed on the company's part and also that there will be no cost incurred. I emphasized that all I needed was her company’s permission, and nothing else.

I shared with the shop assistant about the mediums that we will be using for our project, platforms such as Facebook and twitter. We might also create a website to aid promotion. At this point in time, I realized that my explanation was getting too long, and the staff was losing interest.

I could tell from her facial expression that she was not interested (or could not understand me well). I tried my best to convince her, but I failed. I left the place shortly after.

Learning experiences:

- My explanations might have been a bit too long. I understand that they have to attend to their paying customers.

- The outlet might already have marketing strategies, and thus they did not want my group and I to interfere (they have a few outlets around Singapore).

- I should have spoken to someone of higher authority, as the lady I spoke to was a staff and might have thought that her boss would not be interested in our project.

- Communication problems (the staff was not local)
 
Written by,
Santhosh







No comments:

Post a Comment